Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Americans before Columbus, by Elizabeth Chesley Baity

I tried.  I tried.  I've had this book for weeks, but every time I pick it up, I can't find the motivation to read it for long.

The book starts with a wide, over-arching summary of the various forms of art and architecture of the native peoples of North, Central, and South America.  Because none of these things are presented in any sort of useful context, only in comparison with each other, this portion of the book is really a mile wide and an inch deep.

Next, the author discusses the migration across the Bering Strait, and then gives several specific people groups a more in-depth treatment, discussing their lifestyles as they were understood at the time.

I don't really think this book would be useful today as a children's reference volume; I would honestly point a child toward something published more recently with more targeted information on a specific topic or people group.

No comments:

Post a Comment