Thursday, April 2, 2015

Abraham Lincoln: Friend of the People, by Clara Ingram Judson

I really don't know where all of these great juvenile biographies were hiding when I was a kid.  This is one of the best I've read in ages.  It did a fabulous job of making Abraham Lincoln come alive as a complete, well-rounded person.  It begins in his early days as a four-year-old child in Kentucky, and follows his growth, development, and education straight through.  It helps you understand the man and his context in his community and in history without brain-dumping dry facts, so I know so much more about Lincoln now than I did (which, to be fair, wasn't much beyond the kid who studied by candlelight in a log cabin and abolished slavery in his presidency, which ended in his assassination).  The author has a gift for narrative, and the book has aged wonderfully well so I'd still recommend it for readers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment