Monday, November 12, 2012

Daniel Boone, by James Daugherty

I've never known anything about Daniel Boone.  Honestly, I didn't know if he was a real historical figure, like Davey Crockett, or if he was folklore, like Paul Bunyan.  The old-timey legends part of my brain kept it pretty ambiguous.  So it turns out, he was real!  But I had a hard time staying with this book.  The illustrations were great, but the text varied between folksy storytelling dialect and historical narration, so I never quite knew how to feel while reading it.  Also, the book failed to drive home for me what made this fellow so special compared to all the other men of the period who must have been doing similar things as he was described as doing.  So I didn't really enjoy this one, but multiple some ones on the Newbery committee must have, seeing as it won the medal for that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment