Thursday, April 14, 2011

The ABC Bunny, by Wanda Gág


A very fun alphabet book which follows the story of a bunny as he runs about during his day, and encounters other animals as well. Charming black-and-white illustrations recall Garth Williams. I knew this one would be a treat after my obsession with the author's other book, Millions of Cats.

The end pages of the book also include sheet music for a song based on the words, with the tune composed by Flavia Gág, Wanda's youngest sister. You can listen here. Apparently I'm not the only one who wanted to know, because there are a few versions on Youtube! However, the words have a fabulous rhythm all on their own so if you're not a pianist you're not missing too much (and really, I could do without the tra-la-las, but I'm also no longer four years old). But a fabulous read-aloud from the days when librarians and teachers were required to play piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment